Alternative to hard linking and copying

If Sonarr could be modified to work the way I have CouchPotato configured, it would solve this issue for me and the OP - I’m in a similar situation being not able to use hard-links, though my array is built on Snapraid instead of Unraid.

The ideal solution for me (and what I have CouchPotato doing), is that when a file has completed downloading, first it is copied to the destination (optionally also renamed). Once that has completed, the original file is then replaced with a symlink to the copy. rTorrent has no issues with seeding from a symlink, and as an added bonus with a somewhat obscure ‘find’ command from a shell I can search for files linking to X and thereby discover what original filenames were before renaming if I need to.

I just realized my proposed solution won’t work. Even if I have rtorrent change the download location to the actual disk (the source in the hard link), when Sonarr tries to hard link it the destination will be on the user share. Looks like my only option is to turn off CDH.

Unless Sonarr uses relative paths, which I doubt it does, and even then I don’t think it would work depending on where the root of the relative path is. So I guess I’ll ask: when Sonarr does the linking/importing does it or can it be set up to use a relative path or does it use an absolute path?

Also. what’s a good solution to handling the sorting? Preferably something available in Linux. Flexget? Some python script?

Would @bloktor’s proposed symlink solution work for you, because that should be easy in a custom post processing script…

No, not really. I’m trying to hard link because I don’t want to copy it over to begin with. Almost everything on my server comes from Sonarr so writing all data twice is placing a not of unnecessary wear and tear on my drives, and with volume of data I’m dealing with it is a significant amount.

Mm, I’m forgetting that in the case of a seeding torrent Sonarr will only copy or hardlink.

It would seem that (if it was even viable solution) move-and-symlink would have to be built into Sonarr as an option for torrents, or perhaps you could have seeding stop on completion and restart it via a custom script in Sonarr after the file is moved?

I’m not quite sure what you mean or how that would accomplish it.

Regardless, it appears my mother was wrong; if I keep whining, I just may get my way after all. The new release candidate of UnRAID supports hard linking in user shares, which is really the ideal solution. At least for my scenario anyway.

It would give you this:

But it does sound like the UnRAID changes are preferable.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.