Aired Season Premiere or Season Finale

It often appears in the TV show description, but I think there should be two more categories on the calendar.

1: Unaired Season Finale
2: Combined colors (1/2 Premiere or 1/2 Finale), for Aired and Grabbed files that are also either Premiere or Finale.

I didn’t find any duplicates, but feel free to merge if you find such a topic.

I saw a discussion about this once, and I recall that it’s not so easy to determine the finale. E.g. many shows are only updated episode per episode on thetvdb, so every week next weeks’ episode would be flagged as “season finale” because there is no more data beyond that…

1 Like

I saw a discussion about this once, and I recall that it’s not so easy to determine the finale. E.g. many shows are only updated episode per episode on thetvdb, so every week next weeks’ episode would be flagged as “season finale” because there is no more data beyond that…

This is also a consideration. Thanks for the note.

I’m starting to see “Season Premiere” or “Season Finale” more in the episode-specific discussion, so I should clarify. If the Premiere or Finale is known, color code it on the calendar.

Maybe the TVDB, or whatever DB/indexers Sonarr is using, got better at the episode numbering and can self-determine many of the Finales.

Else, Sonarr can also make a color-coded calendar entry on the last episode number it detects in the series’ numbering scheme.

Premiere is easy, it’s the first episode of the season.

Finale is hard for the reason @Thirrian pointed out, Sonarr won’t know if the last episode is really the last episode in the season until the next season, which isn’t going to help. There is no way for Sonarr to know with 100% certainty any episode is the finale.

Ideally an episode could be flagged with Finale on TheTVDB and we’d be able to do something reliably.

There is also

Which discusses some of the things Sonarr could use episode information to try and guess which state the series is currently in.

Perhaps, I’m saying it wrong, but I know there isn’t 100% certainty, right now, that an episode is the Series Finale. It is valuable information. On that, we agree.

I’ll see the episodes text description often showing the words Series Finale. If Sonarr scrapes for that text, which should be fairly unique, it could update a color on the calendar and do other things. Even a maybe Series Finale is better than an ep with 0% certainty.

Make it a beta or testing feature, if you like, and analyze the results.

Edit: I noticed the cursor hover tips are displayed for the legend on the calendar colors. That could come in useful with this feature, too.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.