Add Item Age as a metric for matching

for TV Series with seasons that the community can not agree upon, it would be helpful if taking the age of the upload into consideration was an option. For example American Dad. Fox says season 14 but a large portion says its 13 so every new episode there is a strong change I will get a copy from last year. Sonarr already shows of the age of the potential match. IF there was an option I could turn on that would limit the age of the upload for a newly aired episode to be 1 day or less vs grab the first thing that is 400+ days old for a new episode would save some time and bandwidth.

Does anyone else think that could be useful or is it too much work??

I’m sure it’s probably come up before but I have issues with American Dad!

It’s infamous for having season numbering issues. Some people class S14 as S15 and so on. This means when Sonarr manually searches for the newest episode S14E20 for example, it is coming up with results that are 400 days old and nabbing them first because some people class and named S13E20 as S14 last year (confusing I know)

Could we not set it to prioritize, or ONLY download episodes that have are uploaded AFTER it’s original air date?

Hope that makes sense?

1 Like

American Dad is handled correctly by…
http://thexem.de/xem/show/3771

Sorry but that is not the same as what we are requesting. All thxeme.de does is show you scene vs tvdb and I don’t care about that. If you search for season 13 episode 20 and sort by date uploaded you will find some that were uploaded before the air date because the person that uploaded it followed scene numbering and some people use tvdb numbering. I don’t want to get into American Dad! specific issues that’s off topic and just causes drama lol.

All I want is for Sonarr to know the air date and skip anything that was uploaded before that date. That’s it.

yes that makes perfect sense and is much more concise that how I was trying to describe it!

Not a bad idea. I would say to search for anything uploaded after one month before the airdate, gotta love those Game of Thrones leaks.

A potential problem would be where thetvdb has incorrect airdates, This could prevent you downloading the program.

How freaky that we posted the same thing around the same time! My topic was merged with this one.

Hopefully there’s an easy fix they can implement.

Sonarr already used tvdb to grab new episodes so if the air date is wrong then it would not grab them as it works now. I think the option should be adjustable like the default value is 0 you make it -1 and it will look for air date minus 1 day and then 0 is today and then 1 is don’t search until the next day just as an option incase there are propers. there would need to be a way to maybe require episode name in the title as well. I would be too afraid to make it too restrictive for casual users but this issue would come up I think.

Show airs today and the snatch quality is 720webDL. It looks for a file uploaded today and it is 720webdl quality and so it grabs only that file. IF it looks for a better quality like 720blueray it would find one instantly in an older show and replace your good copy with a great copy of the wrong episode but if you had an option to require episode title “the-show” or “the.show” in new quality as a non-default option I don’t think I would ever need to even log into my sonar because it already does such a great job. Maybe add the episode name as a priority over episode number or require both as a match and let software figure out where that episode belongs.

Sonarr only cares about the air date for two reasons (when grabbing episodes):

• Season packs, it won’t grab a season pack if one or more episodes hasn’t aired
  • Grabbing episodes released using the date instead of the season + episode numbers

There is an existing GHI for this:

We do not plan to make it customizable, it’ll be on of off, if it’s released before the air date, it’d be rejected, otherwise it’d be accepted. Allowing it to be set on a per series basis/linked to a series via tags is important though, because on or off for all series is too aggressive. If episodes are reposted you’re SOL though, since Sonarr won’t know whether it’s a release for the old episode or the new release.

Sonarr won’t take the episode title into account when matching, it’s too unreliable and overly complicated, it’s easy for us to see whether the episode title is in the filename, but a lot harder for a computer to do it reliably.

The real solution to this problem is a better XEM, One ohich would take into account the quality/release group/other information to map things to the correct episode even though there are conflicts in the numbering.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.