Access denied on import and back-up

At first i start with this question: Is the nzbdrone user still being used in the recent versions of Sonarr?
I ask this because i cannot find it on my Synology (412+) NAS. It’s not in etc/group (maybe that is the actual problem?)

At first it did all work as it should be. Then i started with a clean install of DSM because i screwed up something. I installed the Synocommunity Sonarr + Mono Beta version and i got permission problems with the import:

Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr: /volume1/Downloads/complete/(and then the folder of the tv show that has been downloaden, in this case by DownloadStation)

I am now using the Docker version of Sonarr, but i still got the same issues.
I also can’t make a back-up: Error occurred while executing task ApplicationUpdate: Access to the path “/tmp/nzbdrone_backup/config.xml” is denied.

I’m searching my ass of for a solution, but it’s nowhere to be found. The sc-media group has full access to the /volume1/Downloads folder, and everything underneath. Also has the “users” group (read / write access). And on my “Series” folder.

Hopefully anyone can give me a clue where to look, or what could be wrong here. I was thinking about creating the nzbdrone user account myself, but i can’t do that without a password. And what password would Sonarr use to access that account? It’s also strange that this won’t work as it should out-of-the-box.

We don’t maintain this package, but to my knowledge it is a user created in a way that it’s not visible in the common locations, but is a member of the sc-media group and ensuring that group has access is required.

Make sure you’re assigning a PUID as well as a PGID so the container runs nder a specific user/group that you can assign permissions to. If your download client is directly in the Synology you’ll need a remote path mapping to remap the path that the download client is using on volume1 to the path that you mounted in the container (since you can’t map root volumes in Synology directly to a container.

Sounds like another user owns that folder, as admin/root try deleting the nzbdrone_backup folder and if it continues to fail, create it and give the sc-media group ownership and full access.

Thanks for your quick reply, it’s appreciated. I followed your tips as far as i could.
I already tried before to (Dr. Frankstein’s manual for Sonarr + Docker), configure the PUID & PGID to 1024 (my Admin account which i also use to logon to the DS) & 101 (administrator group). So they should mean that the Sonarr container is running under that account, right? I checked the rights in the GUI and made sure that sc-media and the administrator group had read/write rights. I tried the update button and Sonarr did create the “Backups/Update” folder but couldn’t create the back-up: “Error occurred while executing task ApplicationUpdate: Access to the path “/tmp/nzbdrone_backup/config.xml” is denied.”

So i did change the PUID & PGID to 0 (root access), and now it does! Half the problem solved, because it still can’t import the TV shows. I’m going to try and fix that later on when i have some time.

I’ve made the mappings in the container, and it also she’s the downloaded shows folder which it should import, so that should be ok. Seems to be permission related. It’s hard to figure it out, that’s for sure (and i am more of a Microsoft guy so).

If the download client reports one path and Sonarr accesses that path via a different path, you’ll need a remote path mapping in Sonarr to remap the remote path the download client reports to the local path Sonarr can use to access it.

You were right! All this time i thought it was a rights issue, but apparently it was not (or maybe it was also, i can test that another time). Downloadstation reported “/volume1/Downloads/complete” to Sonarr, but within Docker it doesn’t know volume1. So i referred it from that path to “/Downloads/complete/”, and that did the job. I guess i can also correct that mapping in the docker container settings instead of Sonarr, but i’m just happy it works. Thanks! Case solved.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.